Slip And Fall Accidents And Personal Injury Lawsuits
According to national statistics compiled by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than one million people end up in emergency rooms each year due to injuries they sustain in slip and fall accidents where they need to contact an Elk Grove, IL personal injury lawyer to represent them. Injuries from these types of accidents can be minor, such as pulled muscles or ligaments, to catastrophic, such as brain injuries or spinal cord injuries. In many cases, the victim suffers injuries so severe they are unable to survive.
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere, including private residences, businesses, retail establishments, and workplaces. According to our friends at Therman Law Offices, LTD, Victims may be entitled to financial compensation for the losses their injuries have caused if the accident was the result of the negligence of another party or parties.
What Are Some of the Most Common Slip and Fall Hazards?
Although there are many factors that can cause a slip and fall accident, the following are typically the most common:
- Liquids or debris left on a walking surface: Whenever any liquid has been spilled on the floor, it is critical it is cleaned up quickly and entirely in order to eliminate a hazard that would cause a person to slip. If this happens in a public place, such as a business or store, or when there is any type of cleaning on walking surfaces, the management or the owners should post warning signs to inform patrons of the possible slipping hazards.
- Poor or no lighting: Property owners and management of companies have a duty of care to anyone who has permission to visit the location to eliminate any hazards that could cause injury. This includes making sure common areas such as entryways, hallways, and stairwells are adequately lit.
- No handrails: Every stairway or ramp in a building should have handrails for people to hold onto. There are usually local building ordinances that require this.
- Tripping dangers: When items such as carpeting and mats are frayed or loose, there is a significant tripping hazard created. This is also true for any wires or cords which are loose and not secured properly.
- Poor walking surfaces: If there is something wrong with the surface that people walk on, there is a greater risk of a slip and fall occurs. For example, a floorboard that is loose or a crack in a walkway pavement can cause significant injury to someone who is not aware these hazards exist as they walk across the area.
Contact a Personal Injury Law Firm Today
If you have sustained injury in a slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to compensation from the at-fault party. To learn more, call an experienced personal injury attorney.